Sacred Heart Cathedral History
On the 30th June 1903 a meeting of 700-800 Catholics was held in the small “Church School” of Sacred heart to discuss the plans to build a new Cathedral in Broken Hill. It was agreed by the faithful that a Cathedral should be built and work was begin straight away on vacant land near the foundation stone. On July 2nd 1905 the new Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus was dedicated and consecrated by Bishop John Dunne. The Pontifical Mass was offered by Bishop of Sale (Right Rev. Dr Corbett) with the Right Rev. Bishop John Dunne of Wilcannia presiding from the throne.
For more information concerning the Cathedral please contact the Diocesan Office